Travel Certificates

Traveling with your pet can be stressful! The sooner you begin the process of investigating the requirements of your destination, the less hectic and more comfortable the process will be for both you and your pet.

A Certificate of Veterinary Inspection (CVI) is often called a “Health Certificate.” A pet health certificate is a document that includes pertinent information about your pet and their health. A Certificate of Veterinary Inspection typically shows not only your pet’s information (e.g. name, age, if they are microchipped, etc.) but also that your pet has received recommended vaccinations, is not showing signs of infectious, contagious, or communicable disease, and is healthy for travel. The veterinarians at Marlboro Animal Hospital are certified by the USDA to provide these certificates, however, it is the responsibility of the pet’s agent to know what documents are required and that they are completed timely.

We have included information here to help you prepare for your pet’s trip. It is the agent’s responsibility to check the specific regulations for the destination of travel with the United States Department of Agriculture. Their website can be found by clicking here.

If you are traveling within the United States:

Unbeknownst to many pet parents, dogs and cats who cross most state borders are required by the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) to meet certain entry requirements (regardless of what an airline may require!) While every state has different requirements for best friends crossing state borders, most states require one of two things, if not both: a pet health certificate, and a certificate stating that your pet is current on vaccinations, such as Rabies (a Rabies certificate must include the vaccine serial number, tag number, and manufacturer.) Additionally, Rabies tags should be worn on your pet’s collar. If your pet is due for a Rabies vaccine, we can administer the vaccine at the time of your pet’s appointment.

Please Note: If you are traveling to Hawaii, please see the section regarding International Health Certificates.

In addition, if your pet will be traveling in an airplane’s cargo, an acclimation certificate is required. Once your pet is deemed healthy for travel, we can provide you with this documentation as well.

When you are flying, before you schedule your appointment, check with your carrier and the state(s) you are traveling to; find out how long they will honor the health certificate after the date of issuance. Most airlines require pet health certificates that are no older than 10 days. Once again, always make sure to contact the carrier you will be flying with to verify any special requirements.

If you are traveling somewhere outside the United States (or Hawaii):

Please, please, PLEASE! We cannot stress enough, the sooner you begin the process of investigating the requirements of your destination country, the better! Exporting your pet(s) can vary greatly in processing time and conditions depending on the importing country. There are usually special stipulations in regards to breed, vaccines, de-worming treatments, microchips, and/or quarantine prior to entry. The types of documents required for travel also vary greatly. For example, some countries will ask that health certificates and other documents be translated to the country’s language of origin. While we are more than happy to assist you, it is ultimately the pet owner’s responsibility to investigate the specific requirements of his/her destination country. You will also want to check with your airline carrier to ensure that they do not have any additional requirements. Please inform us of your travel plans as early as possible so that we can ensure that your travels go as smoothly as possible.

Consultation Appointments (Mandatory for International Travel) – We are Here to Help

We ask that you schedule your initial appointment at least 30 days prior to expected travel date. This appointment is a consultation only. You do not need to bring your pet with you for this consultation. During the consultation, we will go over the specific export requirements for your destination and schedule your pet’s exam. If you are a new client to our practice or if we have not yet received pertinent medical records, we ask that you bring your pet’s medical history including:

  • Most recent vaccination status. A Rabies certificate will be required (that includes such information as vaccine serial number, tag number and manufacturer.)
  • Microchip information if pet has a microchip.
  • Deworming/Flea/Tick treatments.

Some European countries for example, have strict standards and timing for microchips, vaccines and deworming.

Please contact us at (508)485-1664 with any specific questions regarding this process.